A Couple of Finished Paddles

The one on the left is all Red Cedar, which I am apparently quite allergic to. I started using cedar about two weeks ago. First time I have ever used it for anything, and I was immediately impressed by how light it is and how easy it is to work with hand tools, especially the block plane. I bought a good bit of it, and was thrilled to have found a cheap, easy, attractive, and very accessible wood to use for skin-on-frame canoes and lightweight paddles. But alas, mid-week I was suffering from pretty bad contact dermatitis that itched like crazy, constant cold symptoms, and every time I started to get better, I'd go down to the shop and re-expose myself to the culprit! Bummer. I need to look around and see if their are any cedar-weight woods that are not as allergenic as cedar.

So the one on the right is ash and pine.



3 comments:

  1. Very nice Corey. They both look great. I can help you get rid of that cedar paddle ;) you know...so you don't have to suffer...LOL!

    did you coat them with poly or oil or are they just natural finish. I've always wondered if and how people finish paddles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! These are oil finished with epoxy saturation on the tips. Most people seem to varnish the whole thing, except for the handle, usually leaving that oiled to reduce blisters. The epoxy saturated tip was a hint I found on a woodworking forum, and it makes good sense. The cedar one is wonderfully light, if a little short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah a wooden paddle I bought has a resin tip to aid in it's toughness. Sounds like a good way to go with the epoxy. This is something I've always wanted to try. Just something cool about using stuff made by your own hands.

    ReplyDelete