Friction Folding Knife

I have learned, over the past week, that folding knives are a niche of knifemaking seemingly all it's own. The recent Svord mod that I posted here got my mind mulling over a self made folding knife. Most of my knife amazement happens in the BushcraftUSA Knife Gallery thread, and although some folders do show up, they are secondary to the fixed blades in the photos there. There are some fantastic makers (J. Oeser comes to mind) that cross over into both folders and fixed, but not too many it seems.

Fortunately, I had no steel or handle material on hand, so after ordering both, I had the long wait for their arrival to work on design and really think through the process. Since the Svord was my inspiration, the friction folder design concepts I used are the same - binder screw pivot and a shared stop pin for both the 'open' and 'closed' position. Simple for sure, but I tell you, this put my patience and precision to the test. Even taking it up a notch to a lockback or a liner lock is way beyond my abilities. I loved making this. I will make more. But I don't foresee ever complicating the design. I don't think I could do it and keep my remaining sanity :)

Specs:
Steel: 1/8" O1
Handle: Coyote Micarta
OAL including tang: 4.5"










No comments:

Post a Comment