A Morning Canoe Trip at Lake Acworth


This past week, I received a 15 foot Pelican canoe in trade. I'd been wrestling with whether I wanted to go with a canoe or kayaks for a while. Kayaks are more familiar, but with two young boys, I figured I'd go broke a bit faster buying everything in triplicate for kayaks, whereas a single canoe will last us all together for a good while. Plus, accessories for kayaks are quite a bit more expensive too, I have discovered. The Pelican model is 81lbs, light enough to load and maneuver myself, and has a whopping 800lbs load capacity. Should be plenty! So Jack and I got up early this morning and gave it a test run on Lake Acworth. This local lake is closed to gas watercraft, so it's a very still, quiet lake to get a feel for everything on. Jack was skeptical of the wisdom of the adventure. I'm not sure if he was more nervous about the quality of the craft, his dad's ability to keep him dry, or his fear of gar that has been worsened by episodes of River Monsters. I'm going to say it was the gar. Anyway, we paddled around the lake, explored some of the marshy areas, fished a bit, and just enjoyed being out on the water in the unusually cool August morning.








No comments:

Post a Comment