Old Town Guide 119 Seat Mod

So a little change of direction... I spent all day Friday and most of Saturday thinking through the positioning I wanted to use to add the second seat to my 119. After doing a lot of reading and some experimentation on dry ground, I came to the conclusion that adding a second seat to this canoe would only work if I backed out the existing seat about 8 - 12 inches. That would leave room at the front to set a second seat at the same interval. I would also have needed to lower both seats to keep the balance. However, this would have created a real problem when it came to using this canoe as a solo, which I still want to be able to do. Having a seat at the rear and a seat at the front would have raised the bow out of the water too much when cruising solo. So in the end, I decided to adjust the existing seat position, raise it a few inches, and commit to building another skin-on-frame canoe - a tandem 14 footer this time. So instead of an extra seat post, behold a 119 seat mod instead!

The standard seat that comes on the Old Town Guide 119. 


Cutting the ash for the seat frame. The ash is from a local lumber mill, and I rip it (for paddles and stuff) with an added circular saw rip fence. Works pretty good as long as I cut it in a single run.



Frame done.

This was stained with Valspar Ebony stain. I'd used their "Weather Gray" stain previously and didn't care for it, but the ebony came out good.

Webbing added





2 comments:

  1. That turned out great Corey! I really like it. I've thought about doing a traditional webseat on my canoe too. Your post here might convince me to try it.

    There's always the "cooler" seat for your boy. I'm sure he'll be excited just to be a long. But I am looking forward to your next tandem canoe build as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really laughing right now! I spent hours, (not joking, hours!) considering how I wanted to do this and never once did the simple solution of a cooler as a seat cross my mind. The project was fun and all, but sometimes I wish I had that valuable gift of being able to solve problems without over-complicating them! A cooler will be exactly the thing.
      Thanks, Brandon.

      Delete