From North Georgia to the Gulf - and Back



I've wondered more than a few times lately, whether it would be possible to get in the Etowah River near my house and paddle southwest until I hit the Gulf of Mexico. I wonder if anyone else out there reading this, has in their mind some kind of grand, epic, "One day..." adventure in the back of their mind that they dream of? Maybe to a place like Alaska, Africa, or Brazil, or maybe it is closer, but on such a scale that your life commitments would never allow it.

In planning for this fantasy trip, I stumbled upon another paddler who has managed to accomplish, not only this route upstream, but also managed it right after paddling another major river system downstream to the Gulf. Robert Fuller covered over 1500 miles of river between his start in September of 2012 and finish in February 2013. I wish there was a map highlighting his route, but I have not been able to locate one so far. It's an incredible feat, both of planning and endurance, and if you have a few minutes, be sure to click over to his site and peruse some of his journal entries. If you are a paddler or a local to this area, I think you'll find it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment