River Maps Library


Starting with the lower Etowah River, I have been working for a while on using Google's Map Engine as a poor man's GIS system to document the waterways in my area with a focus on paddlers. Some of the rivers up here have seen really fantastic mapping efforts accomplished, while some have very, very little information to be found online. With the Map Engine, it is possible to collaborate with others to detail the various features of an area on a shared, public map.

Regrettably, I cannot possibly paddle all of the rivers of Georgia. I have this thing called an employer that just doesn't place the same value on accurate river maps that I do. Instead, I am looking for collaborators to help me. If you've paddled a river here, and would be willing to spend a few minutes marking down ramps, features, obstacles, that would be terrific and useful to other paddlers in the future! If you have a blog or website or are a river outfitter, I will happily credit you in the map details, share your location in the relevant map, and share a link to your page as well.

The river systems down here are great for fishing and paddling, and my hope is that this will grow to be a broad, accurate library of Georgia river information. If you'd like to help, please get in touch with me and let me know what river(s) you'd like to contribute for. I'll reply with a map link and details on accessing and updating the shared map.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment