Skin on Frame Canoe - Part II

Put in quite a bit of time this weekend on the SOF canoe build. I have run into a few flaws that have highlighted my need to buy a book on the subject, and try to stand on someone else's shoulders a bit more with this. So far, none of them have been disastrous though - just set me back here and there.

  • I was using a single plywood form to run the stringers over and hold the shape of the canoe. At some point, it moved without my noticing, so some of the stringers torqued a little and caused the keelson to not be in the perfect center all the way the length of the boat. Had to remove all the stringers on one end, realign, and re-lash. I need to build a better, more carefully designed form.
  • Had a number of ribs break during the bending process. I am heating them by putting them in a 1.5" PVC tube with one end capped, filling the tube with boiling water, then loosely capping the top end as well. After about 20 minutes, they are bendy, but I have still had several break. I will go with thicker rib material and a longer soak time next time.
  • I'll tape my fingers before I tie the 50,000 lashings it seems to require next time. I am about 90% done with the lashings now.



No comments:

Post a Comment